Study at ECUPL

General Information for International Students



East China University of Political Science and Law offers assistance in finding suitable accommodation including a limited number of on-campus dormitories(room-sharing for 2). ECUPL will arrange accommodation based on the order of applications submitted, and the arrangements are subject to changes in that very year. Located close to the business area near Zhongshan Park and Jing’an CBD and closely neighboring to Metro Line 2, 3 & 4, ECUPL Changning Campus has two on-campus dormitory buildings for overseas students where there is a laundry room and public activity area.  

  1. Guest House is a hotel-style student dorm.

  • Price of Guest House: RMB 6000 per semester(shared room price of 2019 fall) for a twin-bed room

  • Please note that the above prices do not include fees for electricity and internet

  • Applicants need to prepay the room prices for each semester

  • Application upon notice

  • Application will be arranged each semester

  • Address: Guest House(华谊楼), No 1575 Wanhangdu Rd.

Photo of Guest House Shared Room

  1. Building 20

A century-old building that gives you a sense of history living in it.


With the documents issued by the ECUPL, students should apply for an entry visa of X1 or X2.

X1 visa is issued to those intending to study in China for a period of more than 180 days. Applicants shall provide all the supporting documents accordingly as per required.

Supporting documents:

1) Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter issued by a school or other entities in China.

(2) Original and photocopy of “Visa Application for Study in China” (Form JW201 or Form JW202).

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of all Visas shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people’s governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence. (X1 Visa holders for foreigners’ residence permits).

X2 visa is issued to those intending to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.

Supporting documents to get X2 visa:

original and photocopy of Admission Notice issued by a school or other entities in China.

We kindly remind you that:

Applicants for X2 visa shall consult local Chinese Embassy as per required or check on Internet for details via before submission.  

All cost resulted from visa procedures and health test shall be borne by students.

Living Expenses

Shanghai is a vibrant city. Living cost varies with the student’s life style. We suggest that every student reserve RMB 5000RMB per month for living expenses. Below is an example of possible living expenses:

Shared room on Changning Campus: RMB 6000 per semester.

A SIM card with 30-minutes call package: RMB 50

A subway ticket: RMB 3-9

A Mcdonald’s set meal: RMB 30

A cup serving of Starbucks Coffee (tall size)RMB 45

A ticket for a movie newly on: RMB 80

A student ticket for a concert or a sports event: RMB 200


As stipulated by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, all international students in China shall obtain medical insurance, the duration of which must cover the whole period of study, regardless of all previous insurances obtained. The insurance in China will cost RMB 800 per year or RMB 400 per semester.

Official Website: (Chinese) (English)

Location of ECUPL Changning Campus

Shanghai Metro Map

Location of ECUPL

ECUPL Changning Campus Map